Supercharge with PADI Specialities!
PADI Delayed Surface Marker Buoy speciality
Most UK divers wouldn’t think of diving without carrying a delayed surface marker buoy. Knowing how to properly deploy and manage a DSMB are invaluable skills learned in this course.
Boats and currents are two common factors associated with many dive sites. Boaters don’t always recognise that divers are in the area and current can carry you further than expected. Launching a delayed surface marker buoy (DSMB) before you surface can alert others to your location in advance of your ascent. Adding another layer of safety, you can also use the DSMB line to complete your safety stop, which is advantageous in a current or when there are no other visual references.
Marker buoys serve a range of purposes and you’ll learn about common types of DSMB along with the reels used to control them. During the two training dives, you’ll practice:
- Preparing and stowing your DSMB and reel
- Deploying the DSMB from a stationary position and from mid-water
- Swimming while towing a DSMB and managing the reel and line
- Making a safety stop using the DSMB line
- Using different types of reels, spools and buoys